Sporadic gunshots were heard since this morning around Atia Mahal in Sylhet, where joint forces are trying to flush out militants for four days.
Today’s restriction net was even wider as the lawmen formed a five-kilometre secured area around the house located in Dakshin Surma, our local correspondent reports.
Several personals of the law enforcing agencies and locals sought anonymity to tell The Daily Star that today’s firing resumed from 6:00am and was underway in intervals.
Meanwhile, gas and power lines of Dakshin Surma were cut off. As local markets were compelled to break, there has been a food crisis in the area.
Yesterday, Bangladesh Army said they successfully neutralised at least two militants inside the house and that there were possibility of “one or more remaining inside”.
Brig Gen Fakhrul Ahsan had said that the army-led operation, code named “Operation Twilight”, would take time as their priority was to evacuate the civilians to safety.
However, he had confirmed the use of heavy artillery like rocket launchers, explosives and shells to engage the militants while briefing the journalists last evening.
So far, eight people have been killed – including the two militants and two police officials – and at least 40 injured since the Sylhet raid began from the wee hours of Friday.
Source: Daily Star, Dhaka, Bangladesh